About MTS Oregon
The Oregon Section of the Marine Technology Society serves the needs of the industrial, academic, and government marine technology sectors for the whole State of Oregon with a focus on historic and growing activity within the Willamette Valley and the Oregon Coast. The Section is based out of Corvallis, home of Oregon State University and many more forward-looking marine technological efforts. We also coordinate activities in Newport reaching out to the scientific, fishing and marine industries on the coast.
The marine technological community in Oregon is rapidly growing with increasing government, academic and industry endeavors along the Oregon Coast and in the Willamette Valley. With programs such as NSF’s Ocean Observatories Initiative (OOI) beginning in earnest, the West Coast Governor’s Agreement on Ocean Health calling for enhanced ocean stewardship through research and monitoring, NOAA moving their Pacific research fleet to Newport, and the development of renewable offshore energy bringing marine professionals to the state, the Oregon Section of MTS is poised to provide professional development and networking opportunities to this growing community.
MTS Oregon strives to serve as a bridge between Oregon’s diverse maritime sectors, between marine technology producers and users, and between the individuals of public institutions and private establishments. MTS Oregon will also provide a resource for students and young professionals to find opportunity in Oregon’s long-lived and emergent marine technology sectors. We hope this can be achieved, in part, by MTS Oregon’s focused promotion of awareness, understanding, advancement and application of relevant marine technology.
Our mission is to:
- Facilitate mutually beneficial relationships amongst Oregon’s industry, academia and government marine technology sectors.
- Work with existing and emerging institutions, organizations and companies to contribute to building a cohesive marine technology community in Oregon.
- Provide connections and insight to students and young professionals interested in the science, engineering, and business of marine technology and in opportunities within Oregon and the Pacific Northwest.
Our strategy is to:
- Provide a forum for focused discussions on specific and regionally relevant marine technological topics that are of primary interest to diverse sectors.
- Host events in locations accessible to different maritime sectors.
- Form long-term relationships with organizations by seeking the institutional membership of key marine technology groups.
Click here for more information about the Marine Technology Society.